Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Aug. 7,8/12

Before we left Ottawa yesterday morning, I went to the market to buy fresh veggies.  I love just walking up and down the rows.  This is just one of the many booths - I tend to buy too many things because they all look so good.  Fortunately we have our plug in cooler with us to keep them fresh, since the fridge just isn't big enough!    We stayed again last night at Burritts Rapids, but the Bell stick just wasn't doin' it, so I had to wait til today when we are in Merrickville - a nice little town on the Rideau - to do the blog.

This is an incredible dam, which is about 180 years old and still holding.  It curves and is made of stone - what a job that must have been back then!


A while back I told you about meeting the Kawartha Voyager, and I think I said about how the front goes up so they can fit in the locks.  Well this is what that looks like.  They stayed at the same lock as we did last night.


As they exit the lock, the crew brings it back down to normal.

Since we followed the Voyager up the system, we did a lot of waiting, as we did with these 2 boats.  The lock at Merrickville doesn't have much space for tie-ups, so some of us ended up floating, fighting the wind to wait our turn.  When we finally got into the first of 3 locks, there were 7 boats crammed in.  But we did get a spot with power, for which I am very thankful.

Kind of a nice touch in the Merrickville lock washroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment