Sunday, October 19, 2014

River Cruise Oct 3/14

Since this day was spent largely on a bus, getting us to our cruise boat on the Rhine, I have very few pics, so thought I would do this one today as well.
This was our new ride, the Rembrandt van Rign, sister ship to the DaVinci, our original, and now disabled ship.  She's older, but totally renovated and beautiful. NOT  hardship at all!
We boarded the Rembrandt in Arnhem, site of a famous battle involving Canadians in WW2.
If you have seen the movie, A Bridge Too Far, you will recognize this as being that bridge.
There was very little time to go walking before the boat was pulling out - the one night that we traveled through the night, since we had lost so much time.  So I practically RAN to see what I could see before missing the boat.  There was a memorial set up along the river (bridge in background), with lots of info about the famous battle, and if you are interested in reading about it, here is a website you can look at:  http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo6/no4/history-histoire-01-eng.asp
 

As I was heading back to the ship, I came across this one - it is a hospital cruise ship - for people who are bedridden or disabled, but want to do a cruise.  The nautical staff is paid, but all others, including doctors and nurses, are volunteers.  I thought this was pretty cool!
 

No, that's not our boat going without me, I did make it back in time.  This is another river cruise boat - there are a LOT of them on the Rhine.


No comments:

Post a Comment