Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Boat Trip 2014 - July 15

We stayed another day on Gordon Island.  It rained BUCKETS here this morning - plus a few rumbles of thunder.  But this afternoon, it cleared up and was quite nice.  I was able to go for another row around the island in the dinghy, as I did yesterday.  I prefer to row, so I can get close to shore, and take as long as I like with the camera.  Later, I even braved the cold water for a bath. 



This is called an oTENTik, one of 2 on this island.  It is a wooden structure, with canvas stretched over it, and rents for $90 per night - I'd expect Holiday Inn for that!
Here's what it looks like inside.  There's a solar panel, which gives you a light, and a place to charge your cell phone.  In addition to the $90, you have to pay for mooring your boat.
 


This gazebo is one of 9 that were originally built in 1904-07 when the park was established. There are only 3 remaining.


A millipede - he has about a million legs!


Guess I was getting a wee bit too close to the babies.




When I first saw these from a distance, I thought I was looking at eggs.  They are very new.  In fact, yesterday there were 4, and today there are 6.





And speaking of new - these little fluff balls are really new!





Dad keeping watch.
There seemed to be a whole family of red-winged blackbirds.
I rowed a long way trying to get close to a pair of loons - never did.  This one kept sticking a foot out the side.  Never saw that before!



This morning, when it was pouring rain, Mama was covering the babes with her body and wings.
Sharron, you mentioned our "classy" outhouse.  Well, this is it!  It is a composting toilet,  has a solar panel to make it work, and there is rarely any bad odor from it.  They have these on all the islands now.
 

There is a family of minks on this island as well.  I saw one on a path, and this one - a really BIG one, was down by the water.


 I find it is REALLY hard to get a picture of a kingfisher!  This was a lucky shot from a far distance.



This fellow is really well camouflaged!
Several of these followed me all the time I was rowing the dinghy.  I think they are called blue bottles, but not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment