Thursday, July 24, 2014

Boat Trip 2014 - July 24

Traveled through 6 more locks today, and are staying in Campbellford overnight.  We managed a trip to the chocolate factory this afternoon, and I tried to buy tarts at the Butter Tart Factory, but they were closed.  :-(  Guess I should have gone to Dooher's Bakery - I understand they're pretty good too.


This big water snake was sunning himself on one of the lock doors when we were locking through.  The lock master said that he has been doing that for 5 years.
I don't think I have ever seen a swan with 4 babies before.  We were not very close, and in an area with buoys on both sides, so didn't try to go closer, but it was nice to see.
In the 1000 Islands, they say that a rock that is big enough to sustain a tree is considered an island, so do you suppose that this very old channel marker is an island?  Bev, do you remember when we used to visit Aunt Norma and Uncle Mev in Trent River, we used to swim out to one of these and dive off it?  That would be at least 60 years ago!

I believe a little froggy just became lunch for this fellow.
 



I love turtles, and have seen very few this summer.
 

The Ranney Suspension Bridge in Campbellford.
When we arrived at the Campbellford Marina, we were only the second boat here.  Since I took this picture, there are a LOT more!  I think we counted 19 boats now, and 8 of them are from Quebec - very unusual to see so many of them on the Trent Severn.
 



This very old Catholic church sits up on a hill here in town, and is absolutely beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment