Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy birthday to me. :-)

Since it was another beautiful day in Hilton Head, we decided to go biking again.  We really like the Sea Pines area, so headed down there again.  I think it's breeding time in South Carolina, and this heron was doing something strange with his throat.  Methinks his missus must have been close by.


It's always fun to see the turtles.

We rocked in the rocking chairs in the shade and read our books for awhile, then ate our picnic lunch.  It's kind of hard to concentrate with lots of activity around there. 

There was a fair sized cruise ship sitting just outside of the harbour, but we never saw any sign of tenders bringing people in.

I always love to watch the pelicans......

.....and today I also got to watch some dophins at play.  It's really hard to get a picture, since you never know where they are going to surface.

We were fortunate to see an osprey with his prey - it was a really big fish, and I think he was having trouble carrying it away.  He finally did fly off with it, and a crow followed him, hoping for a bite.

Someone told us about the egrets nesting, so we finally found where that was, and were able to get a fairly close look.

We also went to check out some old ruins from hundreds of years ago.  They were made from "tabby" which is a mixture of shells, lime from the shells, and sand.

This is the first time I had seen a wood stork in Hilton Head.

I spotted this tiny little gator beside a boardwalk.  He was pretty young - still had the stripes on his tail.  No sign of Momma, though.

We went for "early bird" dinner at a restaurant called the Big Bamboo.  I think it was meant to be in Japan at the time of WW II.  I sure enjoyed my coconut shrimp birthday dinner, with key lime pie for dessert.  My husband then took me to see a live presentation of Driving Miss Daisy at the Arts Center.  That was fun, then home to take calls from both of my sons - that was even better!  All in all, a great birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment